Auditions are now open for the Full-Time Programme, After School Programme, Inter/Intrastate & International Programme in 2021. Before you submit an application, please ensure you have read the instructions and terms & conditions below:
How to Apply
- Film student demonstrating the relevant audition requirements (see below) and save via one of the following formats:
YouTube video - Listed/Unlisted
Vimeo video - Public/Private
- Take 2 x standard images (4"x 6" / 10cm x 15cm) of applicant in practice clothes. Required poses:
Full length facing side-on profile to the camera with feet in parallel 1st - Example Photo
Tendu a la seconde a terre en face with arms in second - Example Photo
- Register or log-in to your account on The Australian Ballet School website before filling out your application
- Fill in the application form, selecting relevant training programme for the applicant
- Pay relevant audition fees following submission of the application (as directed via the website)
- Submit application by 21st September 2020
Please note that applications will not be processed if incomplete
Tips for filming your Digital Audition
- Film in a clear, well-lit space. We need to see you!
- Ensure the dancer’s full body length is visible.
- The camera must be positioned at an angle that shows the dancer at their best.
- The use of a tripod is recommended to ensure a stable image.
- Check the quality of image and sound prior to submission.
Digital Audition Content
Auditioning for After School Programme and Intra/Interstate & International Training Programme (Levels 1-3)
For course information, please visit After School Programme and Intra/Interstate & International Training Programme
(a) Barre Work ·
- Plies – once in each position
- Battement Tendus
- Battement Fondus
- Grand Battements
(b) Centre Work
Auditioning for Full-Time Programme (Level 4-8)
For course information, please visit Full-Time Training
(a) Barre Work
- Demi & Grand Plies – once in each position
- Battement Tendus – 4 in each direction on both legs
- Ronde de Jambe a terre and en l’air – 4 en dehors & en dedans
- Frappe – as for tendus & on demi-pointe
- Developpés 90 degrees – both sides, all directions
- Battement Fondus 45 degrees – both sides, all directions
- Grand Battements – as for tendus
(b) Centre Work
- Port de Bras
- Some centre practice with various pirouettes
- Basic allegro steps
- Small batterie combinations
- Grand Allegro
- Short Variation including beats, jumps and turns
The video should also include an enchainment with pirouettes (on pointe for girls).
A short solo showing applicant's performing quality and personality.
Terms & Conditions
We accept digital auditions all year round. To be considered for our January 2021 intake, applications must be received by 21st September 2020. Digital auditions are accepted after this date, however, there is no guarantee of a potential place being available.
- Preferred dress for audition:
- Girls: leotard, pink ballet tights, ballet shoes. No skirts or outerwear.
- Boys: unitard or full-length tights, form-fitting t-shirt/singlet, socks and ballet shoes
- The Australian Ballet School collects and uses your information in accordance with the relevant privacy legislation.
For all enquiries please contact The Australian Ballet School, on +61 3 9669 2807.
Digital Auditions are open to Australian & international applicants.
Applicants for the Full Time Programme (FTP) must be aged 13 to 18 years at 30 June 2020.
Applicants for the After School Programme (ASP) and Intra/Interstate & International Training Programme (ITP) must be aged 8 to 13 years at 30 June 2020.
Successful auditionees will be offered training options based on their age, location and ability. This arrangement offers greater access and training options to develop young dancers.
The Digital Audition fee is $125.00 AUD. Payment must be received with application in order for the application to be processed.
The Australian Ballet School is unable to offer refunds for YouTube or Vimeo applications once the application has been received by The Australian Ballet School.
The teachers are all highly skilled dance professionals. All staff of the School have obtained a Working with Children’s Check from the Department of Justice, Victoria.
Child Safe Standards
The School’s commitment to child safety is based on the Seven Child Safety Standards that align with the Victorian Child Safe Standards and related child protection laws. These standards and the three principles underpin the development of the School’s work systems, practices, policies and procedures to protect children to maintain a child safe environment and embed an organisational culture of child safety within the School community. The School is committed to the protection of all children from all forms of child abuse and demonstrates this commitment through the implementation of Child Protection policies designed to empower children and to keep children safe.