National Audition Tour 2020
(Read about other audition options here)
Conducted during June – August each year across several major cities around Australia, students audition in the National Audition Tour 2020 for intake in January 2021.
Auditions consist of a modified classical class specially structured to assess a range of criteria including coordination, musicality and physical suitability for the demands of The Australian Ballet School's programmes.
No special preparation is required for the audition class. Pointe shoes are not required.
- Read relevant documents. Please ensure you read and understand the following before making your application: The School's Terms & Conditions, and the relevant training programme/s your child will be auditioning for (Full-Time, After School, and/or Intra/Interstate & International).
- Enrol and finalise payment. Select the desired option from the drop-down menu at right and click Register. Complete enrolment form with applicant and parent/carer details. Checkout to finalise payment. By clicking Register, you agree to the aforementioned School's Terms & Conditions.
- Submit photos and confirm desired training programme. After payment is complete, you will receive an email with instructions on uploading the required photos, as well as selecting the auditionee's desired training programme/s.
National Audition Tour 2020 venues and dates
Launceston* - Sunday 31 May
Canberra - Sunday 21 June
Sydney - Sunday 5 July - Wednesday 8 July
Brisbane - Thursday 9 July - Friday 10 July
Cairns - Sunday 12 July - Monday 13 July
Adelaide - Sunday 19 July
Perth - Tuesday 21 July - Thursday 23 July
Melbourne - Monday 27 July - Wednesday 29 July
Finals (for shortlisted FTP auditionees) - August 2020, dates TBC
Online enrolments close approximately 2 weeks prior to each scheduled date.
* If wishing to participate in both the Launceston Open Masterclass and an audition, please enrol for the audition only. On the day, auditionees will participate in a masterclass first, followed by the audition screening process.
COSTSEarly Bird Fee: $108
Standard Fee: $125
Early Bird Fees available until approximately 4 weeks prior to each event date.
Students may choose to audition for any one or more of the below training programmes, provided they meet the age criteria for each one.
Full-Time Programme (FTP) (Melbourne-based)
Age at 30 June 2020: 13 to 18 years
Auditioning for entry to study full-time (Levels 4 to 8) at the School. Please see the relevant page of our website for more information about the FTP.
After School Programme (ASP), or
Intra/Interstate & International Training Programme (ITP)
Age at 30 June 2020: 8 to 13 years
The ASP is our Melbourne-based programme while the ITP is open to international, interstate and Victorian students. Successful auditionees will be offered training options based on their age, location and ability. This arrangement offers greater access and training options to develop young dancers. Please see the relevant pages on our website for more information about the ITP and ASP.
PHOTOS & TRAINING PROGRAMME SELECTION
- Once payment is made, an Order Confirmation email will be sent which includes instructions on where to upload the 2 required audition photos and select the desired training programme/s. Failure to complete this step may invalidate the audition application. Please check junk/spam folders for this email if it is not in your inbox.
- Photos do not need to be shot by a professional photographer; camera phone photos will suffice. However, they must be of sufficient size and quality to be printed on half an A4 sheet of paper, clearly showing the auditionee in the required stances listed below.
- Example 1: Full-length facing side in profile to the camera with feet in parallel 1st.
- Example 2: Tendu a la seconde a terre en face with arms in second.
WAIT LIST / LATE ENROLMENT
Once online enrolments have closed, late manual enrolments may still be possible. Please contact the School to find out more (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If an event is sold out, please contact the School to request your child be placed on the wait list.
Most Auditions run concurrently with our Open Masterclass venues. If you would like to find out more and/or enrol your child for an Open Masterclass, please click here.